First of all, the daffodils blooming all around our house have made me extra happy this week!
Jenna was especially excited for Easter and General Conference this weekend. We had lots of discussions about Christ, the Resurrection, and our Prophet and Apostles to keep the true meaning in our thoughts.
But we also had lots of practice egg hunts! Jenna had so much fun hiding and finding toys all week long. Liam was definitely ready for the big day!
Tuesday: (long story... sorry)
I was able to go out with the missionaries on an actual appointment (that didn't get cancelled last minute!)!
Beforehand I was talking to Paul about the last time I went out with the Sisters, and wondering what ever happened with a young couple that we had met that seemed very interested in hearing more. Since it had been about 2 months and I hadn't heard anything or seen them at church, we figured they must have decided they weren't interested anymore.
We had an hour before our appointment, so the Sisters and I went to visit some new members in the area. These girls have some serious spunk! We were talking to everyone we saw, even literally stopping the car in the middle of the street to hop out and invite people to watch the Because He Lives video.
I decided to ask the Sisters what happened with that young couple we had met the last time, and they looked shocked! For some unknowable reason, that couple had slipped through the cracks and the missionaries had completely forgotten about them. They told me that before they got to my house they felt like there was someone they needed to visit, but just couldn't think of who. They prayed and asked to be led to that person.
Prayers are answered! And God forgets no one!
We miraculously remembered where they live, but they weren't home so we left a note. And I will pray every day until these awesome people get the chance to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
Our actual appointment was just as amazing. We met with a man who has a lot of faith, but it felt like he was holding back because he wanted to fix everything about himself before coming to church (like getting in shape before you go to the gym). We had a great discussion about the atonement and how God is our father, and how much love He has for each of us. And at the end one of the Sisters turned to me and said she felt impressed to ask me to share my testimony about the Book of Mormon, which was exactly what I couldn't get out of my head throughout the discussion. I've never been an eloquent speaker, but I know the Spirit helped relay the strength of my testimony on the subject.
I am seriously learning so so much from these Sister Missionaries! I never thought I would be brave enough to share my testimony with a stranger, and now I hope to have many more opportunities!
Wednesday:
My April Fools joke this year was for Paul. I created a shortcut on his phone's keyboard so that when I asked him what his favorite dinner is, "lasagna" would turn into "yellow squash" (the only food he hates). But I thought it might not work (it didn't) because Paul relies heavily on predictive text on his iphone, so I needed a word or phrase that he would type quickly without checking (and that he was unlikely to say to a coworker). I changed "love" to "don't like" because Paul is very serious about me knowing his love for me every day. Seeing what he just said to me would definitely shock him!
I asked what his favorite dinner was:
Seeing the conversation bubble pop in and out several times after he sent "I dont like you too" and picturing his confused face while he typed it over and over made me laugh so hard!! Liam was looking at me like "what's wrong with mom?"
That night I was able to go to my first book club meeting in 7 months. It is so therapeutic to have a night out chatting with other moms. We read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. She was the unknowing donor of the very first human cells to be kept alive in culture, and most labs in the world today work with these HeLa cells. It was interesting and very well written. It's not the type of book I would pick up on my own, so I'm glad to have a book club to broaden my horizons.
Thursday:
Gavin started clapping!
This was the only night we knew for sure that Paul would be home before Easter, so we dyed and decorated eggs.
Friday:
The First Grade at Jenna's school has been working for weeks on Kid Town. They learned about money, goods and services, and set up a whole "town". On the last day, families were invited to come participate.
They had shops, a library, theater, restaurant, recycling center, grocery store, and post office. They had earned play money throughout the week and took turns being workers and shoppers. Jenna was assigned to work at the fishing hole, where she gave out fishing licenses and charged $1 for each fish caught. It was just adorable!
I didn't get any more pictures, because it took most of my attention to not lose my little wandering Liam!
Saturday:
Paul had to work and the rest of us spent the day watching conference in our pajamas. I decided to do the bag activity again (half filled with activities, half with snacks) and the kids loved it. The only problem is that we miss the beginning of all the Apostles' talks in the opening-of-the-bag and setup-the-activity commotion. I'll have to tweek it for next time, or maybe switch it up and try something else.
Easter morning!!! So wonderful to combine General Conference with the celebration of the resurrection! And some eggs and chocolate...
We had a quick egg hunt, and the Easter bunny brought the kids new outfits, chocolate bunnies, Kinder Bunnies (a kid version of one of our favorite games), and a quiet book.
Aaah, the quiet book. I started making it a year and a half ago... I had decided to make two - one for Liam and one for our nephew (whose family we drew for Christmas presents that year). I was making them both together, but as Christmas drew nearer I had to finish just my nephew's to get it there in time. I only had a couple hours worth of work left on Liam's, but it took me over a year to get to it. I still have some finishing touches to make, but I wanted to finally give it to him for Easter.
We did several egg hunts, took some pictures, and watched the rest of General Conference.
It was a pretty great week!





2 comments:
I love Jenna's dress- I want one in my size! And your quiet book is amazing, those are so much work.
Your April Fool's prank is hilarious. I may have to copycat you.
Cute, cute!
Post a Comment