Sunday, November 27, 2011

I love my mother because...

Tonight Jenna is sick. :(
She fell asleep at her normal time, but just as I was about to get into bed myself I heard a pitiful little sick-cry coming from her bedroom:

"I need you" she says.
"I'm right here" I whisper. I sing Silent Night as I rub her sweet little head and she falls back asleep. But every time I take away my hand, her eyes pop open, to make sure I'm still there.
The poor girl had a really hard time falling asleep, so this lasted for a while.

It was during this time that I thought of elementary school, and writing the "I love my mother because..." essays for Mother's Day. Do you remember doing those? What I remember about them most is that almost every kid would write that they love their moms because they take care of them when they are sick (or something to that effect). This bothered me back then, because I thought "that's a silly thing to write; they HAVE to do it"

Well, tonight I learned that isn't true.

I didn't have to sit with her until she could finally sleep. I wanted to. I could have gone to bed, let her cry herself back to sleep, and she would have survived the night. But I WANT to stay by her side, to give what comfort I can, and try to ease her pain. Even though I have to be awake in 4 hours to get ready to teach 19 other nursery children, I WANT to be there for my little girl.

Now I kinda feel bad for not acknowledging in my essays the acts of kindness my mom showed me when I was young.
So, Mommy, I love you because you always took care of me and made me feel better when I was sick! If I am a good mom today, it is because you first showed me the way.

2 comments:

Katy said...

You're a good mother!

Unknown said...

Awwww...Thank you! I have some pretty good kids so that really makes it much easier. I still have many of those "essays" you and the other kids have written. I also remember my own mother being there when I was sick. We all want our mom when we feel bad because we know "mom" loves you no matter what. Even when you are throwing up all over ALL the blankets, floor etc. I am very proud of how good of a mother you are turning out to be. That is NOT hereditary but something that lives inside of you and comes out because you love that little child more than anything else. Jenna is a very lucky girl.