For Memorial Day weekend (Friday to Monday), we got to go camping with about 10 other families in our ward. Unfortunately, Paul's stadium was hosting the USA v Brazil soccer game and he had to work over the weekend, so Jenna and I braved it alone. We drove down with some friends, and they took good care of us!
The weekend turned out to be one of those trips where everything seems to go wrong, but you're still sad to leave and can't wait to do it again!
What went "wrong":
-We divided the breakfasts and dinners by groups of families to make food a little easier for everyone. We planned out and bought the supplies for our breakfast, but when we were halfway there we realized that we forgot our food. Cue trip to Walmart.
-I didn't take ANY pictures. Sad.
-Sleeping on the ground isn't the MOST comfortable when you're 24 weeks pregnant, so I didn't get a ton of sleep...
-On Saturday morning, Jenna was running with her friends, tripped, and hit her mouth on a rock! Luckily, her tongue and teeth are all still in tact, but she cut both her lips and got a big gash in her gums. It was pretty gruesome looking! I cleaned up the blood and got her to eat some ice, and then she got over it really quickly. I'm glad there were no mirrors around, because seeing her injuries always makes it worse! It didn't even affect her eating. I'm surprised how quickly she has healed; the cut on her gums is only barely visible now.
-We spent most of Saturday at the beach, and I apparently forgot to put sunscreen on my right foot. It got sunburned pretty badly. It swelled up twice it's normal size on Sunday and I had to limp around a bit.
-A 12-year old boy in our group wiped out on his bike, and of course I was the one who found him. He stood up all tough-like and said he was fine, but I looked at his elbow and could see the bone! His parents had to run him to the hospital where he got stitched up, but no other injuries!
-Sunday night right at dinnertime began a nasty thunderstorm! Tons of wind and rain that forced everyone to bed early and ruined campfire time. Luckily, Jenna and I had a stellar tent that kept us dry, but one couple got all of their stuff completely soaked!
-At 3a.m. during the storm, Jenna all of a sudden wakes up and throws up all over herself! It was pitch black and I had nothing to catch it with. Yuck. I did my best to clean her up and put everything in plastic bags, and she fell right back to sleep. I still have no idea why that happened.
-And then on our way home, I found a tick on Jenna'a neck! I told her it was a fuzzy and pulled it right out, head and all. No harm done!
But other than that, we had a blast! Jenna had so much fun with the other kids, and she was a champion sleeper at night! We got to enjoy the beach, canoe rides, fishing, good food, and great company! Can't wait to do it again, with Paul!
2 comments:
That is not what I would call a successful camping trip!! You are not only braver than I am but also able to look at it at a MUCH happier perspective than I would have. Maybe you're just putting on a brave sugar coated tone for your blog ;)
You are awesome for going at it alone with Jenna. What a good mom! I find that the really awful experiences make for hilarious stories later. Apparently your Girls Camp skills have kicked in (even though we slept in cabins with BEDS for crying out-loud).
Post a Comment