Following is the story of our little Liam's birth day: September 19, 2012
Feel free to just look at pictures, but I know some people love these stories!
| Let's go have a baby !!! |
I was all set to be induced Wednesday morning, the 19th of September. I know some people think I'm crazy for inducing my baby, for whatever reasons, but I'm a strong believer that everyone's deliveries are so unique that we can't generalize. And Jenna's induction was so wonderful and quick, I was more than ready to do it again!
Tuesday (for a little background): I went to the doctor and found out I was dilated to 3cm (the same as I was just before Jenna's birth day). Everything looked good to go! My mom drove in from St. Louis to be with us at the hospital, and Paul's mom drove up from South Carolina to be with Jenna (we sure are loved around here!).
My mom and I ran around getting some last minute things done and ready for our bundle of joy to arrive. That evening, Jenna started acting really tired and cuddly, and I noticed she felt really hot! So, I took her temperature: 101 degrees! Jenna has been sick exactly 3 times in her entire life, and of course the fourth just had to be the day before brother is born! We couldn't believe it! I was suddenly soo grateful that Paul's mom was there, because I couldn't imagine leaving a sick little girl with any of our friends out here (aweful for everyone!).
Wednesday: I called the hospital at 7:30am to make sure they had space for me (they would have to cancel me if there were too many delivering mommas that day) and they said to come on in. Yay! I had been so calm and excited for this moment throughout the pregnancy, so it shocked me when I got into the car and just started bawling! I guess the hormones and nerves and the fact that I had to leave Jenna feeling miserable caught up with me, and needed an outlet. Poor Paul probably felt so confused and helpless, but he just held my hand and reminded me we would meet our little son in a couple of hours! Then the excitement took over...
9am: We arrived at the hospital, but had to wait for a while so they could get the room ready. Apparently they had a lot of deliveries the night before, and we were very lucky they let us come in that day! When we finally got a room, we had to wait a bit more because my doctor was delivering a baby down the hall.
12pm: The doctor finally arrived! I was still dilated to 3cm, but the baby was at -2 station (meaning pretty high up still). I got my IV (she got it on the first try! Jenna's nurse had to stick me 4 times! Miserable...) and they started my pitocin.
| Wow, I look HUGE! |
Paul, my mom, and I then sat around chatting and guessing what time the baby would arrive. I really wasn't sure what to do with all this down time since I didn't get any when Jenna was born.
A couple hours later they kicked up my pitocin and the doctor came to check where we were at: 4cm and still -2 station. I was starting to think this little guy didn't want to come out! We all decided that breaking my water was the ticket to Jenna's fast delivery, and boy were we right!
2:30pm: The doctor broke my water, and the contractions immediately became intense. I told the nurse I could wait to get my epidural, then five minutes later said I was ready!
Ah, the contractions... Now I know a lot of women have their babies naturally, but I'm convinced that if anyone felt what I felt, they would beg for an epidural :)
3pm: The anesthesiologist arrived! The only bummer about it was that they made Paul leave the room (something about a sterile environment and a history of fainting dads...). I asked "So, I have to be alone?" and the nurse replied that she would be there. Oh, gee, I feel so much better...
But it turned out to be okay. She was very friendly and explained everything to me. Seriously, everything. At one point, I was thinking Okay, just put the needle in my back already!
It turned out the be the perfect epidural! It didn't hurt when she put it in, it worked quickly, and I could still move my legs and feet while feeling no contractions at all!
3:30pm: The doctor checked me once more, and I was now 5cm. Time to rest a bit.
4pm: My mom was watching my monitor and announced "I think he's coming down now" and sure enough, I felt some pressure running down my back! The nurse saw my blood pressure drop and put me on oxygen. Then she took a look and called for the doctor - It was time to push!
4:27pm: After three sets of pushes, Liam made his debut into the world!
8lbs. 1 oz.
20 inches
14.5 inch beautifully round head
Everyone was shocked at how big he was. In fact, as he was coming out, they all commented on how big a head that was: NOT something a laboring mom wants to hear, people!
They immediatly put him on my belly and Paul cut the umbilical cord. I just remember how surreal it felt finally meeting the little guy we had been dreaming about for 3 years! Everyone was so calm, and it was a very peaceful time.
The nurses took him to get weighed and cleaned up after a couple minutes, and he didn't even cry! All I could hear were tiny little wimpers. Paul just stared at him and held his little hands until we were all reunited again.
Liam opened his eyes right away and looked right at our faces, and I really think he liked to hear our voices :)
| I love when Paul holds him because he looks so little! |
Right away, we all thought he looked like my brother. He definitely had my squinty eyes! My mom says they're "dark and serious".
But as the days went by we saw that he looks almost exactly like Jenna did - just a little bigger and with lighter hair :)
We were able to spend about an hour with our little boy before they took him away to be bathed and probably poked and prodded. The nurse and I were both surprised at how quickly I was walking around and taking care of myself. My body healed itself pretty quickly this time around.
That night we decided my mom would stay at the hospital with me and Liam, so Paul could be with Jenna. Liam slept a ton in his first 24 hours! I still hadn't heard him cry, and I could barely get him interested in eating; he just gave me the stink-eye and went right back to sleep.
I, on the other hand, didn't get a lot of sleep that first night. But that's through no fault of his - Staring at his adorable little face just seemed so much more appealing than sleep at that point!
His name: Liam wasn't a name we had thought of before I got pregnant (Neither was Jenna for that matter). We actually had another name all ready to go, but just before we found out we were having a boy, it just didn't seem right to me anymore. Liam was just our favorite name that we both loved. Jenna was actually very adamant that his name was Liam. She \would get upset if we even joked about naming him something else!
Liam's middle name, Deryl, comes from his Great Grandpa Deryl Schertz who passed away the year Paul and I got married. Their birthdays are just one day apart! And Paul was also named after his paternal Great Grandpa. So if Liam continues the tradition, his first son's first or middle name will be Michael.
So there you have it! Liam Deryl Schertz, the newest member of our family! To say I'm wrapped around his little finger is the understatement of the year! I LOVE my little boy!
2 comments:
Yay! So glad it went well, and what a cute little boy you have! Enjoy!!!
Congrats! He is beautiful! I am so excited for you. Jenna looks so sweet helping and is adorable. Glad you are all doing well :)
Post a Comment