Friday, April 2, 2010

Late April fools?

Most people remember that I graduated in Statistics - because, let's face it, not many people do.
Tonight, an acquaintance from a year or so ago calls me. She has a daughter struggling in a statistics class; Could I come over and tutor her?
Gee, I think, it's been a couple of years since I've tutored, but I'm sure that I can help. I'd love to come!
I show up at her house and the daughter hasn't yet arrived. No problem, we chit-chat for a couple of minutes. The door opens... daughter walks in and subsequently ignores me... I'm a little confused... mom mentions something about statistics... daughter's face drops...

She had no idea I was coming!

I'm standing there dumb-struck while an argument ensues about whether I should be there... I was like an unwilling participant in some bizarre statistics-intervention.
The daughter kept telling me to go - the parents were urging me to stay... It was one of the most awkward situations ever!
So, I gave the daughter my credentials and told her she can call or e-mail me with ANY questions... And then high-tailed it out of there!

Seriously. Who does that?!?!

4 comments:

Spencer said...

I can totally see you with your head down, looking at the floor. BTW my parents finally changed the phone numbers back to the Oregon ones...

kali said...

Haha. I was actually just standing there, smiling. Trying to make everyone feel less embarrassed.

Lisa said...

Woah!! SO bad, but such a good story!!!

Katy said...

Totally awkward! YIKES!